jump to main menu jump to subject menu jump to content jump to footer

FAQs for Claimants

  • What do I do if I am injured on the job?

Report the injury to your employer as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days from the day the injury occurs or your claim may be denied.

  • How do I get medical treatment for my injury?

After your claim has been reported, your employer and/or AmeriSys will advise you where to go for medical treatment related to your injury. AmeriSys is the State’s medical case manager.  Treatment that is not approved through workers’ compensation will not be accepted.

  • Do I have to pay for any of my medical bills?

No.  All authorized medical bills should be submitted by the medical provider to your employer’s medical case manager for payment. Unauthorized treatment will not be paid by workers’ compensation.

  • Will I be paid if I lose time from work?

Under Florida Law no payment is due for lost wages for the first 7 days; however, your employer will continue paying your salary for the first 7 days if you are a full-time employee.  OPS employees do not receive any salary for the first 40 hours or 7 days of lost time. You are responsible for keeping your employer updated on your work status and to report to work when your authorized treating physician releases you.  If you do not report for duty when released you will not be paid.  Even though you may not be fully recovered from your injury, your treating physician may release you to return to work if certain work restrictions can be accommodated by your employer. 

  • How much will I be paid?

In most cases your benefits check, which is paid bi-weekly, will be 66 2/3% of your average weekly wage based on your earnings for the 13 weeks preceding your date of injury, not to exceed the state limit.

  • If my employer/carrier denies my claim for workers’ compensation benefits, do I need legal representation to get my benefits?

It is your decision whether or not to hire an attorney; however, the Employee Assistance Office (EAO) at the Division of Workers’ Compensation can assist you in resolving the dispute.  If unable to resolve the issue, the EAO can further assist you in completing and filing a Petition for Benefits. This service is provided at no cost to you.  For EAO assistance call (800) 342-1741 or send an email to wceao@myfloridacfo.com.

  • Is there a period of time after which my claim is no longer open?

If you were injured on or after 01/01/94, the claim would close one (1) year from the date of your last medical treatment or payment of compensation. The period of time is referred to as the Statute of Limitations. If you were injured before 01/01/94, the claim would close two (2) years from the date of your last medical treatment or payment of compensation.

  •  Can I claim reimbursement for travel related to receiving authorized medical care?

Yes. Mileage reimbursement forms will be mailed to you. Reimbursement is currently in the amount of .445 cents per mile. You may submit mileage reimbursements as treatment occurs or if you prefer, you may submit them periodically or at the end of your treatment.